Some Quick PR “Do’s and Don’ts”
Public Relations is all about sharing the right information with the right people and at the right place, to enhance brand reputation. PR is an area that can change the future of a business and it is vital for any company. Public Relations helps companies manage their reputation in the market, especially in times of crisis. It is through PR that companies are able to apologize, repair damage and redeem themselves. Public Relations also helps promote brand values through media connections and networking strategies. Moreover, PR helps companies enhance their online presence. Nowadays, especially throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, everyone has become digitally connected, and PR helps brands make the most out of an online presence. It helps with monitoring the interests of consumers, employees, partners, and even the competition.
PR-activities are extremely beneficial to businesses; below, we share some quick “Do’s and Don’ts” to follow.
- Use emotional symbols, as well as catchy slogans
- Be ahead of competitors in predicting events and organize actions in a timely manner, which have an emotional impact on the public
- Constantly be in touch with public opinion through various channels (employ KOLs in your dedicated niche)
- Ensure mutual benefit of a customer from a product/ service
- Build brand loyalty through positioning
- Develop featured articles, to be released through media outlets
- Reach out to journalists
It is also extremely important to maintain a transparent relationship with the customer. Feedback, even if negative, allows for companies to make changes and improve.
- Focus on purely one channel, for public relations efforts
- Neglect social media as a medium for public relations
- Approach the media without researching about them
- Disparage your competition. It is never polite to talk badly about others
- Hesitate to reach out down the line. Just because a writer can’t work with you now, doesn’t mean they won’t want to in the future.
Overall, public relations is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics. It has few disadvantages, since PR is usually the solution. When there are problems, they tend to occur when a company does, says, or shares something that the public finds offensive and problematic. By maintaining good morale, a positive attitude, and a diverse team, PR activities are extremely beneficial in growing businesses. If you are looking for guidance or support in public relations, feel free to contact us directly for a consultation.